Causing devastating disability and death, falls remain a leading cause of injury for construction workers in New York City.
In New York and across the country, falls are the leading cause of death on construction sites according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). A fall from any height, including a slip and fall, can lead to severe injury.In New York, falls on construction sites far outstrip other hazards including:
- Struck or crushed
- Hit by a motor vehicle
- Electrocution, fire, or burn
- Acute poisoning
- Tool injury, like a saw
- Hyperthermia (increased temperature)
By nature, construction sites are hazardous. Because a construction site is a work in progress, there are fall hazards on the ground and above it, including:
- Floor holes, like a skylight, or an unfinished roof can swiftly lead to a plunge.
- Elevated floors, platforms with open sides, or runways without guardrails and toe-boards are a standing hazard.
- Ladders require inspection, proper placement, and safe use to avoid injury.
- On level ground, workers can fall into machines, vats, onto conveyors or other fast- moving machines and become entrapped.
- At heights, lack of appropriate protective equipment, like personal fall arrest systems (PFASs) and training, cause death when nets, harnesses, stairs, and railings are not used or deployed properly—or if they are defective.
- Improperly built, placed, or secured scaffoldings can easily lead to a fatal fall.
In New York City, worker falls was the leading single cause of construction site accidents and injury in 2017. In January 2018 alone, two construction workers died on the job, both from falls.In the city, Manhattan leads other boroughs across the board in construction accidents, injuries, and fatalities.
If you suffer a fall on a construction site, you may be facing physical impairment for life.While workers’ compensation may provide medical care and partial wage replacement, you may have a cause of action against other individuals on the worksite.If individuals employed by other vendors or businesses were responsible, or partially at fault, for the mishap that caused your injury, you may be able to file a claim for money damages for pain, suffering, or lost lifetime earnings.
While the cause of your fall or other construction injury may seem straightforward, the actual liability for your injury may belong to others in addition to your employer. When you suffer severe or catastrophic injury on a construction site in New York City, get experienced legal help.
Speak with a trusted construction accident law firm in New York City today
Serving New York City workers and residents for decades, Robinson & Yablon, P.C delivers aggressive legal representation to achieve maximum compensation on your behalf.Whether you are injured on the job, or in the city, we have answers to your questions about a personal injury lawsuit. Contact us or call (646) 832-2853 today.